Comics, Cosplay, and Cars
- Saturday, August 10, 2019An Introduction to Gwenpool in Gwenpool Strikes Back #1Gwenpool Strikes Back, a new five-issue limited series by Leah Williams and David Baldeon, hits stores next week from Marvel. And this preview of Gwenpool Strikes Back #1 comes out of the gate swinging…
- Wednesday, May 22, 2019Gwenpool Strikes Back in New Mini From Leah Williams and David BaldeonSpinning out of the events of West Coast Avengers, Gwenpool will star in a new mini-series this Summer from the creative team of Leah Williams and David Baldeon. In Gwenpool Strikes Back, Gwen, in an attempt to avoid disappearing into comic book limbo, concocts a plan to stay relevant, starting by unmasking Spider-Man (please, Gwen, how many times has that already happened?). Check out the solicit below, and look for the first issue in stores in August. Oh, and what does this mean for the future of Baldeon and Gail Simone’s Domino after Hotshots? That’s the only part of this we don’t like. GWENPOOL STRIKES BACK #1 (OF 5)
written by Leah Williams
illustrated by David Baldeon
cover by Terry Dodson
POOL’S OUT FOR SUMMER!
That’s right — everyone’s favorite comics-fan-turned-comics character is back, and this time, she’s playing for keeps! Gwen Poole is desperate not to disappear into comic book limbo, so she’s going to make an impact on the Marvel Universe! First up: Unmask Spider-Man! And heck, maybe see if she can get some real super-powers while she’s at it!
First appearing on a variant cover for Deadpool’s Secret Secret Wars #2, Gwenpool has become something of a cult character for Marvel. She received her own series, The Unbelievable Gwenpool, in 2016. That comic ran until 2018.
- Tuesday, June 12, 2018Gwenpool Marvel Animated Statue Coming to SDCC from Gentle GiantGwenpool may have lost her comic, but she is coming to SDCC this year. The Marvel Animated statue from Gentle Giant, based on the art of Skottie Young, will be an exclusive at their booth. She stands at about three inches tall like the others in the line and will feature our hero drinking a Dead Freeze slurpee. The statue will cost you $65, and it actually can be preordered right now. If you do order, it will ship after SDCC in July.
- Thursday, May 17, 2018The West Coast Avengers Return in New Series by Kelly Thompson and Stefano CaselliFresh off a killer run on the Rogue & Gambit mini-series, writer Kelly Thompson is set to revive another classic love affair: that of comic book readers and the West Coast Avengers. Along with artist Stefano Caselli, Thompson will bring back the 1980s Avengers B-Team with Hawkeyes Clint and Kate. As seen on the cover to issue #1, The X-Men’s Quentin Quire will also join the team, along with Gwenpool, Miss America, and Kate’s boyfriend, Fuse. The characters will live together while filming a reality show, reminiscent slightly of the New Warriors series that led to the original Civil War event, proving once and for all that comics are cyclical and we’ve just finished with the most recent Bill Jemas cycle.
- Wednesday, January 24, 2018Gwenpool Lives on in New MAFEX Figure in SeptemberGwenpool is getting her very own MAFEX figure form Medicom Toys. She will be available in September for 7,800 Yen, or about $70 US.
- Wednesday, January 11, 2017Brian Bendis’ Police Station Cosplay Crazy Gwenpool Predicts The End Of Print Comics In Ten YearsBrian Bendis has a history of showing police scenes in his comic books, with people – generally cosplayers – being arrested while shouting out crazy continuity points from other comic book imprints or publishers. Today he adds Jessica Jones to this list. With a look at what Gwenpool might look like if she was in a more grounded series, and decrying the end of print comic books when compared to the TV series.
- Tuesday, January 10, 2017Funko Finally Reveals A Gwenpool PopFunko has revealed their latest addition to their Marvel line of Pops with Gwenpool. Created a couple years back, she will be available in three different versions: a regular release, a metallic Toys R Us exclusive, and a maskless version exclusive to Walgreens. Look for all three versions on shelves sometime in February.
- Wednesday, January 04, 2017Gwenpool Enters Marvel Contest Of Champions… And Drags Cable In With HerAs Marvel Contest of Champions moves into a new year, the game is unveiling two new heroes… the extremely popular Gwenpool and the extremely pouched Cable. Neither are playable yet, but my guess is that one of them will be winnable in the arenas starting tomorrow… while the other will probably be up in two weeks. They haven’t released the special moves for Cable yet, so I’m guessing Gwenpool will be first. The two are also the theme for this next months special quest-line and if you complete it, you get the title Pink Ghost. Here are the Gwenpool special moves.
- Tuesday, December 22, 2015Gwenpool Gets An Ongoing SeriesWe previously pointed out the power of the Gwenpool meme and suggested that Marvel do more with what was then nothing more than a cover design by her creator, Chris Bachalo, mashing up Gwen Stacy and Deadpool as part of a series of Gwen Stacy-themed variant covers, for Deadpool’s Secret Secret Wars #2. Since then, she has appeared in other comics, got a back-up strip in Howard The Duck, saw a She Hulk Christmas Special renamed in her honour and now… an ongoing series, announced by Marvel PR through Entertainment Weekly. We couldn’t be more excited. The series will be written by Christopher Hastings and art team Gurihiru, made up of Chifuyu Sasaki and Naoko Kawano, who have created her previous stories…
- Friday, November 06, 2015J Scott Campbell Draws Gwenpool For Midtown – And Lady Deadpool Ain’t HappyHere’s the J Scott Campbell cover for the Gwenpool Holiday Special for Midtown Comics that isn’t even on their website yet, so you saw it hear first. Here’s a preview of that very comic…
- Wednesday, October 07, 2015Frank Cho Pits Gwenpool Against Spider-GwenAnother sketch cover from Frank Cho, seeing his new favourite Spider-Gwen go up against his newer favourite, Gwenpool. Ad likely to be on sale at New York Comic Con.
- Friday, September 11, 2015Gwenpool Is Getting Her Own Special This ChristmasYesterday we told you about Gwenpool getting a back up story in November’s Howard The Duck #1. Now it seems that in December, we will see a Gwenpool Special #1 written by Gerry Duggan, Charles Soule, Christopher Hastings and more… Art by Danilo Beyruth, Langdon Foss, Gurihiru and again more… with cover by Kris Anka, variant cover by Robbi Rodriguez and She-Hulk variant by Emanuela Luppachino. Then, tis the season in December’s GWENPOOL SPECIAL #1 – as the biggest creators and biggest heroes from across the Marvel Universe band together for holiday cheer! She-Hulk throws a party and invites the entire Marvel U! Deadpool and both Hawkeyes – Kate & Clint – team up to take down a holiday pickpocket! Ms. Marvel battles her most dangerous threat yet: the holiday blues! And of course, the woman of the hour, Gwenpool herself! Featuring Gerry Duggan, Charles Soule, Christopher Hastings, Danilo Beyruth, Langdon Foss, Gurihiru and more – this is one you won’t want to miss!
- Thursday, September 10, 2015Howard The Duck #1 Will Now Have A Gwenpool Story In The Back – And Cost An Extra DollarThe relaunch of Howard The Duck #1 for All-New All-Different Marvel was a $3.99, 32 page comic.It is now a 40 page $4.99 comic. Because in the back will be a new Gwenpool story. We gave you a brief history of the character here, and how she has been taken on by cosplayers and sketchers alike, but now she’s going into proper canon. Not only that, but Howard The Duck will have a Gwenpool variant cover, as we revealed last week, by Ron Lim. And that original Deadpool Secret Secret Wars #2 variant cover that first featured her by Chris Bachalo, that has been selling on eBay for up to $50? Turns out Marvel have still got copies left and will be selling them to retailers, a maximum of two per store. Expect them to go for about $10 each.
- Friday, September 04, 2015The Return Of Gwenpool – From Ron Lim, For Howard The DuckWe recently reported how one of the Gwen Stacy variant covers from a few months ago (above) by Chris Bachalo, “Gwenpool” had kinda gone nuts. Sketches, cosplay, increased demand, all from one variant cover. I commented that this looked like it was a “thing” and if Marvel would notice.They did.And now Marvel are offering a Howard The Duck Gwenpool variant drawn by Ron Lim for the release of the new Howard The Duck #1.It will be restricted to one order for every 25 copies of the standard cover that retailers order. So good luck getting tat Gwenpool duck…
- Thursday, August 20, 2015And Finally… Has Marvel Noticed That Gwenpool Is A Thing Now?This was the variant cover to Deadpool’s Secret Secret Wars #2, one of many Gwen Stacy-themed covers for the month. They were rather popular. But this is the one that has created a fan obsession.